The following benefits regarding piste closure will only apply if you have purchased the additional winter sports extension. For full terms and conditions regarding the below information, please make sure you check your Policy Wording.
Direct Travel/AllSafe (Allianz)
Under Direct Travel or AllSafe policies, there is cover available if you cannot participate in a prepaid activity due to:
- Your ski resort closes 75% or more of its ski trails due to lack or excess of snow. This is given that the closure is for at least 50% of the normal operating hours on the calendar day you intend to use your ski lift tickets.
You are covered under the following section:
Section WS1 - If your ski resort is closed
If you were unable to use the ski resort facilities for more than 24 hours during your trip due to adverse weather conditions, you can submit a claim for consideration. This is provided that you receive written confirmation from the ski resort management confirming that the facilities were closed due to adverse weather conditions, or that it was unsafe to ski or snowboard due to adverse weather conditions.*
*Adverse weather is defined as: too much, or too little snow, high winds, avalanche.
There is cover for piste closure with the Freespirit winter sports extension. This is if during the recognised ski season you are unable to ski due to the lack of snow which results in the total closure of skiing facilities in the resort.
Please note that under this section, you are not covered for:
- any compensation where your tour operator provides a payment or provides travel to an alternative resort
- any compensation where your trip was booked within 14 days of travel
- any compensation where you fail to obtain written confirmation from the ski lift and/or ski school operator confirming the closure of facilities, stating the reason for closure, the date and time of closure, and the date and time it reopened
- any compensation when you are not in the resort covered by your ski pass
Goodtogo (Red Sands)
The ‘piste closure’ section of Goodtogo policies covers you if you are unable to ski because your resort stays closed for more than 24 hours, due to the lack of snow in your resort.
Note that this cover is only provided if:
- you are skiing north of the earth’s equator between 1st January and 30th April, or south of the earth’s equator between 1st June and 31st October and the ski resort is higher than 1600 metres above sea level
- the lack of snow conditions are not public knowledge prior to the start of your trip.
- you have obtained a letter from your tour operator/transport provider or ski resort representative stating the reason for closure, the date, time of the closure and the date and time it reopened
- it does not exceed the pre-booked period of insurance of your trip